Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Frontal Lobe Development and the Inhibition of Responses

According to my research, "Perhaps the most commonly observed trait of frontal-lobe patients is their difficulty in using information from environmental cues to regulate or change their behavior. This difficulty manifests itself in a number of ways" one of them being an inability to engage in response inhibition. "Patients with frontal-lobe lesions consistently perseverate on responses in a variety of test situations - particularly those in which there are changing demands... Shifting response strategies is particularly difficult for people with frontal lesions... demonstrating that the frontal lobe is necessary for flexibility in behavior." (Kolb & Wishaw, p 408)

I hope all of this hasn't bored you because there IS a purpose to my madness.

Remember when I was talking about people who write "suxs" despite the fact that the letter "x" automatically pluralizes the word because it takes over for all three last letters, that is "cks"? Well, hear me out here: In lecture, my prof said that the frontal lobes don't fully develop in people until their mid-twenties. Could it be, then, that the people I am talking to are experiencing delayed development of their frontal lobes resulting in an inability to inhibit the automatic response of pluralizing a word by adding an "s" despite the fact that the "x" automatically pluralizes the word? That is, they cannot inhibit the "default" behavior of adding an "s" to pluralize a word because they haven't fully developed the cortical structures required to do so. Therefore, they are just developmentally retarded, and I shouldn't really call them stupid because they're not unintelligent - just slow...

Yes. That is the conclusion I have come to. People who put an "s" after an "x" in the context discussed above are frontal-lobe development challenged, or "slow" as I like to call them.

Wow. I knew that one day my insults would have a scientific basis. This is so exciting!

References: Kolb, B. and Wishaw, I. (2003). Fundamentals of Human Neuropsychology. (5th edition). New York: Worth Publishers.

2 Comments:

Blogger G-Funk said...

Wow, you really know how to rant about nothing.

12:15 a.m.  
Blogger Titania said...

I dunno, man. I've long suspected delayed frontal lobe development in myself, as evidenced by my extremely late-blooming: superego, inhibition, goal-orientation, responsibility, and ability to delay gratification, among other things. And I've always had impeccable orthography.

1:48 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home