Wednesday, May 24, 2006

shoot the j

Last week I was lost and floundering, looking for something to latch onto as the world passed me by.
This week, I know exactly where I'm going and how I'm getting there - and nothing's slowing me down.
Maybe it takes a near-drowning to learn how to swim, I don't remember, I was very little when I did. But I do remember getting thrown right in - and not being afraid. In fact, I was excited about the jump, and begged to do it again... and again... and again.
And I did learn how to swim.
So I thought about it today, and decided: take the plunge, and whatever comes with it.

So that's what I'm doing.

Wish me a safe journey back to the surface.

In other news: the kids I'm working with are absolutely wonderful. Totally welcoming, completely respectful and kind, very willing to help and seemingly very excited about me being there. The teacher wrote "Welcome Miss V****!" on the blackboard, and one of the kids wrote "Thanks for coming!" underneath. I thought that was sweet.
I did some fractions with a couple kids who weren't getting it - and it was pretty amazing to see them go from "huh?" to racing each other to the last question. I marked a few tests and did some photocopying. Overall, I could totally see myself doing this. The constant social interaction with people who understand me (10-year-olds) had an uplifting effect on my psyche, and I feel happier today then I have felt in a while (which is really saying something, because I've been happy lately).

MTL is coming up fast - in 3 days I'm off for "Summer Of Love Pt. 2" with my favourite girls, Nelly and Ash. I'm almost pissing myself with excitement. These girls make everything fabulous ten times more fabulous, and Montreal is pretty fucking seriously fabulous. Now you understand why I'm almost pissing myself.

Cheerio, everyone! I'm off to say "bye" to a few individuals who won't be making the trip.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home