Thursday, December 23, 2004

Day 2 of the Kitchen Re-painting Fiasco

Allow me to begin from the... uh... beginning, for those of you who aren't up to date: So my mother has this brilliant idea that since we're not going to the Dominican Republic this Christmas, she's going to paint the kitchen instead. I really don't see the logic here. Exchanging a warm tropical relaxing vacation for hard labour... but whatever. We always knew she was a little crazy. My sister and I decided to opt out. As soon as she stated said "brilliant" plan, my sister and I both said "Ah, we will not be aiding you in your quest to make our kitchen green, oh Holy One, because we already have plans. Plans of lying about all day doing nothing as it is our vacation and this is what we wish to do. Yes, Father, we wish to loll about with our tongues hanging out out of boredom." We also had to explain ourselves to our father, because as we were explaining ourselves to our mother, she started screaming like a banshee and this is like some call of the wild thing that attracts our father to act as reinforcement to whatever insane scheme our mother is hatching.
Anyways, our dad just squashed our dreams of being free and frolicking and said "You're helping your mother paint the kitchen" And I said "But I don't want to" And he said "No one wants to do anything" in a really huffy voice. And this confused me, because what he was saying made sense and I couldn't agree with the content of his message more... but we still didn't seem to be seeing eye to eye because he was jiggling with anger. And when I say jiggling, I do mean quite literally as you will know if you have ever seen my daddy's tummy. (Also, he's about a foot taller than me, so we never really see eye to eye - but I didn't mean it literally. I meant it in an abstract, illustrative way. Whatever. Just go on.)
We changed into our slave outfits and started with our slave work. I say slave work because our mother initially aided us with comments of encouragement. She even took some forks out of the kitchen BUT, then she disappeared into the basement. We thought she was getting tools or something initially, but when she didn't reappear for 2 hours, we got a little suspicious. So we went downstairs (at this point having emptied out the entire kitchen and sanded everything down) and she was down there watching tv. Needless to say, I was shocked and appalled, but too tired to complain, so I sat down and watched tv with her. For about half an hour. Then I had to get ready to go out with Nelly. We saw "A Very Long Engagement" - excellent movie. I will give my full review of it at a later date. Or maybe I won't. It'll depend on my mood.
Anyways, today is day 2 of the kitchen repainting. So far, I have managed to hide out in my room, but I was awoken at 8 in the morning by screams emitting from the place of repaint-ment. My parents were arguing, because, inevitably, whenever they have to cooperate on something, ESPECIALLY if work is involved, it elicits anger and tension. The argument about the colour of the window frame turned into an argument about how they never go out anymore and who they're going to be spending New Year's Eve with. I guess I should tell them that definitely NOT on that list is me... as they still don't know that I am ditching them... but I didn't think that would be a good time. In fact, I think I'm stuck just avoiding my parents for the next ten days until this whole thing is over. I like them a lot better when they're at work. Then they don't have these useless ideas about how great it would be to repaint the kitchen, and they don't argue because they're too tired. Holidays should be abolished for adults in favour of a more healthy family climate. Instances of child abuse would be greatly reduced. You can take my word on that one.
Haha. Lunch is ready. The fire alarm just went off.
Merry Christmas Eve-Eve!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home