Saturday, September 03, 2005

This is a post I wrote a really, really long time ago. I don't have money to spend anymore, so my shopping addiction is totally cured.

I bought a pink top that I deemed not to be slutty at the store, but changed my mind about at home. I also bought a pair of flip flops I didn't actually need, and went all out and ordered a year's worth of contact lenses for $180 even though I owe myself $200. The worst bit: I inflicted half an hour's worth of torture on myself in the form of leg waxing for another $60.

Does this qualify as a disorder since it causes me distress?

The woman that works at Smart Set actually knows me now. I walked into that store 3 TIMES IN ONE DAY. She told me she'd have to refrain from selling me anything the next time I went in. (She obviously doesn't work on commission.)
I'll thank her profusely once I come to grips with my problem. Right now, she's like the people tying me up in my straightjacket (if we want to go with the 'insane/majorly disordered' train of thought) and I hate her for it.

The 50 Cent video for "A Lil' Bit" bugs me. WHY IS HE WEARING THAT HAT? And why, oh why, is this the most empowering video currently being aired during RapCity? There is nothing empowering about being a hoe working for a successful pimp, but that's apparently the best girls can aspire to these days, since in the other videos they're hoes working for unsuccessful pimps.
My question is: Why are they hoeing even in their OWN videos? I mean, it makes no sense to me in the first place to take your clothes off and shake your bum around in a video - but let's say it's the ONLY way to get food on the table (although it isn't... but for the sake of argument...) and you decide that it'll be good money for minimal work and time away from your family, etc. Ok. Done. So some rapper wants to look good, and the only way his fatass can do that (think: Fat Joe) is to pay you to pretend you like him. Ok, done. You shake your ass because that's what you're getting paid to do. Now, why, oh WHY would you CHOOSE to do this when it comes time to make your very own music video? Think Christina Milian 'Dip It Low', Amerie 'One Thing', any J-Lo video... I could go on. Why? What's the logic? Sex sells? Ok, so when it's your turn to sell some sex, why don't you pay men to take off their clothes and hump the floor around you whilst you throw cash around and wear a fur coat? Wouldn't that make more sense?

Half the problem we have is with ourselves. As long as there are women out there willing to be objectified - we can't blame guys for being pigs - because we're doing it to ourselves more often then not.
And it's a shame everyone buys into it.

Now, forget about the feminist/humanist perspective. Let's look at it from a purely artistic point of view - since this is music, after all - the ultimate art form: Can't you come up with ANYTHING new? A new chorus? A new hook? A new beat? Something besides romping around on your bed or covering yourself in grease? Getting caught in the rain wearing see-through clothes? Making out with another girl? THERE HAS TO BE SOMETHING OUT THERE THAT HASN'T BEEN DONE A BILLION TIMES OVER IN A BILLION OTHER VIDEOS. YOU'RE THE ARTIST. BE ARTISTIC FOR FUCK'S SAKE AND FIGURE SOMETHING OUT. Jesus. It doesn't even have to be new. Just not COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY TIRED AND OVERPLAYED.

Now, if you're clearly not out there to change people's minds or to challenge beliefs or to lead or be creative in any way, shape, or form: then why are you calling yourself an artist? Why are we discussing talent? This industry isn't about talent or art: it's about advertisement. So, call yourself what you are: a freaking billboard, and stop wasting everyone's time with these interviews where you go on and on about how hard it is being you and getting your 'message' out. Stop having concerts that you're not actually singing at - instead, why don't you have a little tour where you just have a couple sit-downs with some impressionable youth and do your job: 'Drink Pepsi.' Thank you. NEXT!

Suffice it to say: If I don't expel any major organs next time I turn on MuchMusic, it'll be because the cable connection is out.

3 Comments:

Blogger G-Funk said...

You should try and listen to something called rock. It's the superior art form.

2:39 a.m.  
Blogger captain obvious said...

There's nothing superior about Coldplay's lead singer whining (literally, because he can't sing) on and on about how shitty his life is IN EVERY SINGLE SONG while lights blaze in the background for 4 minutes straight, or trying to be deep by doing things backwards.
NOTHING.
No, my dear Paul, unfortunately, all easily-accessible music these days is profoundly inferior to anything I'd want to expose my ears/eyes/wallet to.

3:14 a.m.  
Blogger unreuly said...

actually there is some, nay a LOT of really great music out there in every genre...its just that the crap is promoted coz its made by the people with the most money and access to the "best" avenues of distribution. try music that off the beaten path...its surprisingly good!

8:53 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home