Monday, December 17, 2007

This week, 3 things that made me very proud of myself occurred.

I got an A+ in my seminar course.
This from the prof who wrote me an academic reference at the beginning of the semester, and am sure would be willing to do it again when I decide to try for Law School again next year. This is great, because it shows me that I am intelligent and can be hard working enough to get an A+ in a fourth year, seriously challenging course.

I got a 95 on a paper that I wrote for a second year English course. This means even more to me than the 90 I received overall in the seminar course because this English course has been my arch nemesis from the outset. I've had to visit the Academic Skills Center, grapple with the thought that after 4 years of University I don't know how to write an English essay, and actually invest hours into developing a thesis for what I felt was a pointless class. My only motivation was my desire to prove to myself that I could do it. So I persisted, and apparently, all of the hard work paid off. That makes me proud, because it shows me that I can overcome even when odds seem stacked in my favour, if I just work hard.

Lastly, I didn't blow up on E for a series of minute upsets. Instead, I gave myself a day to think it over and calm down, and talked things through with him the next day, sans blowup. I think it was a much more effective strategy, and am proud that I wasn't pushed to act rashly.

It's bittersweet that my academic realizations come at the end of a long journey at University. It's sweet, because now I know I can do this, and probably anything else that comes my way. It's bitter, because despite my ability, since I haven't shown it consistently, it is questionable what doors will be open to me in the future. The fact that it took me four years to realize that I have to work hard may have closed doors for me that won't easily reopen. Still, better late than never, I suppose.

The realization regarding how I deal with E is also bittersweet. It's sweet, because I'm learning to curb my irrational self and I think this will be a positive for us. But it's bitter, because I always had the romantic notion that you shouldn't have to change who you are or how you react if someone truly loves you, and I'm finding now, that if you truly love someone, sometimes you'll have to give up a little of yourself to make both of you happier.
Maybe I'm wrong. I'm still learning.

1 Comments:

Blogger unreuly said...

congrats DJ...on everthing.

5:27 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home