Wednesday, November 28, 2007

i don't understand your motives, and i hate your style

So I'm in this class where 20% of my mark is for participation. To that end, we're required to submit "discussion questions" about the readings we do each week.

Last week, I didn't do my reading on time and didn't submit any questions by the deadline. My prof emailed me to ask where my submission was. I told him I didn't make one, because I didn't finish the assignment on time, and therefore, wouldn't be receiving any marks for it.

He told me to submit it anyway. Not for marks, just because.

Why would I do that? Why would he want me to do that?

In all of my life at school, I have done assignments for marks, and that is generally how the profs handled things too. You lose marks if you don't hand something in, gain them if you do.
So if you stand to gain no marks in a situation, can your prof ethically, legally, morally make you do something for nothing?
And if he/she can, why would she/he WANT to?

2 Comments:

Blogger unreuly said...

perhaps, and i realize i'm going out on a flimsy limb here, but just perhaps, the point of an education is to LEARN, not to earn (marks)!

just an idea!

4:38 p.m.  
Blogger captain obvious said...

WRONG WRONG WROOOOOOOOOOOOONG

as usual

11:31 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home