Friday, October 12, 2007

after

Today is a sad day.
One of those melancholy, moody, gray days.

In all the excitement and all the possibility, I lost touch with a little bit of reality.
An essential, important little bit of reality.

I've been working hard lately on making something unrealistic happen.
I've been told by everyone I've talked to that I should ignore the literature, my gut feelings, and every other piece of dependable evidence I have access to - and try anyway. Try really, really hard. And try again if I fail. And keep trying.

But today, somebody very wise, and probably with my best interest at heart, told me something else entirely: that I don't stand a chance of getting into any law school in Ontario, and that I should really focus on any and all backup plans that I have thought about.

It came as a double disappointment because I held such high hopes for today.
After a stagnant few days during which no professors were getting back to my emails or attending their office hours, one invited me to discuss the possibility of him writing me a reference letter today. He told me he remembered me as a good student with lots of enthusiasm and fantastic contributions to class discussions - and he wasn't joshing, because he knew how to pronounce my name and recognized me immediately as I walked into his classroom.

He all but agreed to write me a raving letter until he heard what my CGPA was. Then, his face fell and he told me that I didn't really stand a chance.
That I should consider schools in the states.
That I should focus on getting into Teacher's College.

And it's a truth that I knew, before any of this hubbub began. It's a truth I spent months trying to convince my parents of. It's a truth I had already dealt with and buried a long time ago... But it's also a truth that I'd allowed myself to ignore as I got a little lost in (some would call it blind) optimism... because what I wanted had crystallized so clearly so quickly, and I'd been directionless for so long, that to let it go on account of a trivial little thing such as "THERE IS NO CHANCE" seemed a mistake.
So I listened to the preachings of my parents who think I'm the best at everything, and it felt so good to have them proud of me again.
And I told all my friends about my aspirations, and it felt so good to have them all tell me that I could do it, not taking into account that they didn't know what "it" was or how unqualified I was for "it".
And it felt good to have a direction, to have a goal, to let myself think I stood a chance.

And now, well, now, most of that is gone.
Today's meeting was a little bit of a blow to my confidence, and a huge bit of a blow to my motivation. Because I've been called back to planet Earth, and, well, when hope is gone, what's the point?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home