Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Empirical Evidence That Nothing Is My Fault

This is why I love social psychology: it gives me empirical proof of everything I'd already suspected about boys and myself.

Check it:
"Men tend to fall more readily in love. (This is why they act so weird come springtime.) Men also seem to fall out of love more slowly and are less likely than women to break up a premarital romance. (Yes to point #1 - I need you like I need water - puh-leeze, yes to point #2 - they don't break up with you. They just stop calling.) Women in love, however, are typically as emotionally involved as their partners, or more so. (True dat.) Women are somewhat more likely than men to focus on the initmacy of the friendship and on their concern for their partner. Men are more likly than women to think about the playful and physical aspects of the relationship. (READ: SEX)" (Myers & Spencer, 2004.)

So what do ya gots ta say about that?

I also found out (while studying for my EXAM by the way... don't you wish your chemistry/math/biology/economics was this applicable to everyday life? Suckers...) that my parents didn't do a very good job with me when I was an infant. According to Myers and Spencer, about 2 in 10 infants and adults exhibit avoidant attachment. "Although internally aroused, avoidant infants reveal little distress during separation or clinging upon reunion (with their parent). Avoiding closeness, these adults tend to be less invested in relationships (sound like anyone you know?) and more likely to leave them (yup, that's me). They are also more likely to engage in one-night stands (if my standards weren't so high, that'd probably be true too...)... Avoidance individuals may be either fearful ('I am uncomfortable getting close to others' - CHECK!) or disimissing ('It is very important for me to feel independent and self-sufficient' - CHECK!)" (2004).
So I can sleep safe. It's my parents' fault: "Some researchers attribute these varying attachment styles to parental responsiveness." Apparently my parents weren't responsive or sensitive enough to my needs and that's why I can't function properly? Sounds improbable. Lets read on... "Other researchers believe attachment styles may reflect inherited temparament." Hmm. So either way my parents are to blame? Score.

I like studying when it's fun like this. Look-y what else I found:
"...three ways of coping with a failing relationship. Some people exhibit loyalty - by waiting for conditions to improve. Others (especially men - I swear it actually says this in the textbook, I did NOT put this in) exhibit neglect; they ignore the partner and allow the relationship to deteriorate. When painful dissatisfactions are ignored, and insidious emotional uncoupling ensues as the partners talk less and begin redefining their lives without each other. (Been there, done that. THAT'S WHAT THE NO-CALLING IS ABOUT.) Still others (like Dunja) voice their concerns (although people usually aren't listening at this point) and take active steps to improve the relationship by discussing problems (check!), seeking advice (check!), and attempting to change (uh... not so much...)." (Myers & Spencer, 2004).

Myers, D. G., & Spencer, S. J. (2004). Social Psychology Second Canadian Edition.

2 Comments:

Blogger Salanth said...

Wow, that's so true...

Avoidance individuals may be either fearful ('I am uncomfortable getting close to others' - CHECK!) or dsimissing ('It is very important for me to feel independent and self-sufficient' - CHECK!)"

Oh god, the no-calling one is happening to me, I think. It's so damn painful...

10:33 p.m.  
Blogger captain obvious said...

I hate the no-calling one...
It's the worst. :(

2:36 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home